Now that it's been a little while the days kind of melt together. I'm not even sure we did anything the night after the doctors. I think we ate and went to bed really early. We've eaten at a different place everyday, just about. At the outdoor market around here we have had meat on a stick (which I like to refer to as kabob) and tempura-d stuff that made J's tummy hurt. I had curry with potatoes and rice yesterday, which might be my favorite other than the kabobs but they don't count because I consider that junk food. Monday or Tuesday we went to a restaurant that put the food in a big wok on a cooker on the table and that was delicious, but they didn't have to-go boxes, so half of it was wasted. Furthermore, when we asked for boxes, or tried to at least, the guy ended up giving me a zippo - a Miller Lite zippo as a matter of fact. Sometimes I end up stuffing myself so it won't go to waste and/or I won't offend. We've also eaten at the Home Plus cafeteria where they have displays of fake food and you pick from that. Very convenient for us, obviously. We also ate at the Popeye's in Home Plus. The chicken was like normal, but they didn't have red bean and rice or mashed potatoes and gravy. There the cups were disposable, but at other places (like cafeterias) the cups are metal in a sterilization chamber.
Some other things that are different: the escalators turn off whenever they aren't being used and back on when you approach them; mom's don't keep such short leashes on their kids. I see kids as young as Lily running ahead, not holding hands when they cross the street, etc. And it seems like they always come when their mom's call them. Customer service here is way better than the US. And, as everyone knows, there's no tipping. I can't think what else other than just the expected cultural differences. The teenage girls mostly look the same. Not only are they wearing matching school uniforms half the time, but they always have the same dark rimmed squarish glasses and long, bob haircut with straight bangs. The other girls, probably our age, often wear heels, sometimes super short skirts or shorts, but never tank-tops or anything revealing up top. And everyone here avoids the sun for the most part. Maybe it's the heat but since I'm from FL I don't notice. When we wait for the crosswalk, people will stand in the shadow of a pole or tree. Pale skin is a big thing, so J is all the rage. They love her creamy, white skin. A guy stopped her the other day on the street to ask if she wanted a drink. The girls also whiten their skin and use whitening make-up.
No comments:
Post a Comment