Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Flight



Got up at 5-530am Monday 18 May 2009 after going to bed between 130-2am. Got out of the hotel room rather quickly, which was almost like Nick's going away present. Got to the airport and waited for J. Checked in and hugged and kissed a lot. I haven't really felt a lot of sadness yet. Well, it comes in little spurts. I just made sure to keep my mind off of it while I was at the airport. Rachel started to cry; J. was crying all morning, she said. She blamed her period. I'm just not an excitable person anymore, I guess. I know I'll be ecstatic when I go home in a year, though.



Got on the plane from Jax to Detroit. I don't think we slept on that one. Took off at 817am, landed at 1047am and then had an almost 4hr layover. I wanted to get some duty-free Patron at the airport but the only one we could have been able to get it at (because of customs) was Tokyo or Incheon and we didn't have time at either. So, of course, we couldn't have the 4hr layover in Tokyo but in Detroit. We ate at a "Mexican Cantina" because we'd heard there's no good mex food in SK. Then J. ordered chicken salad and I ordered buffalo wings. Go figure. Then I exchanged 400 dollars into about 450,000 won (the exchange rate was .000886 which means it's steadily rising which means it's almost dollar to dollar aka 1USD = 1000 KRW). Then we waited. At one point J. went to use the bathroom and a woman sat her laptop beside her into J's empty chair in the waiting area. From my peripherals I thought it was J's laptop bag and that it was kind of close to that woman (I'm really paranoid about my/our luggage and what not). So I grabbed the bag to move it closer to me and the woman, who was probably Japanese, very politely stopped me and I realized it was her bag that I had just grabbed like a maniac.



On the plane I sat in the aisle seat and Jessica sat in the middle next to this young guy who passed out for most of the trip. I slept, off and on, curled up in a ball, which is the true meaning of cat nap. I'm not sure how Jessica slept. It was just as uncomfortable as I'd imagined it would be. Actually, not as uncomfortable as I remember the bus to NY being, which is what I had been imagining. Plus, they fed us 3 meals. The sleeping dude kept missing the meals and asking the attendants for them afterwards. It seemed like he wanted special treatment for everything. J. talked to him more than I did, though, but I'm pretty sure she thought he was annoying too. And he would randomly sing. Just kind of like to himself or whatever, but kind of loud.



We were on the plane from Detroit to Tokyo for 13hrs and it was daylight the whole time. Unfortunately we didn't get the window seat, although the boy let us look out of it sometimes and we saw what might have been Russia where there were all mountains and snow. It kinda didn't matter anyway, tho, because every seat we had on every flight was over the wing. The meals really helped split up the time and I didn't really think it was that bad until about the last 2hrs30m. I watched the last half of Inkheart and then Yes Man and that helped, too. Towards the end of the flight you just get so tired of being so cramped and the guy in front of me was leaning back but I couldn't lean back because the lady behind me's legs were in the way. I made sure not to get pissed over any of that stuff tho because I thought to myself, This shit happens and it'll just make it worse to dwell on it and get pissed and be miserable rather than just not caring.



There was a quarantine inspection at the end of the flight that held us up for a while. We had to fill out health papers and they scanned us with infrared cameras to see if we were feverish. The swine flu is going around in America and Mexico and everyone's freaking out from it. People wear face masks in Asia when they go in public, specifically the airport. Only a handful, not everyone. So the inspection took so long that by the time we got into the airport and what not it was final borading call for our plane to SK. So no Patron. I got the window on that one and I slept the whole time, even through sushi, but the flight still sucked. Tokyo to Incheon 6-9pm.



to be cont...

No comments:

Post a Comment