I went to the going away dinner (not party) with my soon to be co-workers and the guy, Adam, I was replacing. He apologized for not really saying anything to me the first time I came by the school. He explained that you don't do a lot of English speaking while you're at school. Not conversationally, at least. I rode with him and Misook (aka Rose) and Taeyoung (co-teacher) to the restaurant and there I sat on the floor on a cushion between the principal and Adam. We had Bolgolgi and some wine and did toasts. When they say "one shot" it means take the whole thing in one shot and then, usually, hold the glass upside down over your head as to say that you drank it all. We toasted with the principal and vice principal and I met most of everyone, Eunju, who is an administrator and Miyoung, my other co-teacher. They said everyone said I was Eve, which makes even more sense since the school just opened and we're the first teachers. I told him I'll get him an apple. He made a speech and then I made a dumb speech saying I was excited to start, but what I should have said was congratulations. Your welcome for accepting. jk

After we went down the street and had some beer. I think they like to try and get Adam tight. It was me, Adam, Rose, the computer teacher (who looked just like a computer teacher), PE teacher (ditto) and the vice principal. I made a joke that I was trying to keep up with the VP by putting my mug up to his to compare and then drinking til they leveled off. Everybody got it (no one spoke English but me, Adam, and Rose a little). Everyone was very nice. Then Rose drove me and Adam home and when I got to J's I had a buzz and wanted to go back out.
No comments:
Post a Comment