Monday, June 22, 2009

Thursday 18 June 2009

I was actually productive today. Woken up by a phone call from my school again. I don't have an alarm, but I need to get one this weekend because I start Tuesday. I haven't really needed one so far. Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to a going away party for the teacher I'm replacing. I'm going to be introduced to everyone and this way I can ask him questions. Such as, what's my new apartment like? When are our holidays and vacation days? How does he go to work? What are the kids like? And I'm going to find out when I get to move. Hopefully this weekend.

I finally went to the post office and got boxes and then I got some CD's to back up my computer although now I'm thinking (after my brother mentioned it) I should just get a portable hard drive. I have such a long list of everything I need (or want). I stopped at Tous Les Jours and got a chicken wrap and when I sat down to eat, the music stopped playing for a minute and then there was American music. Pretty funny. I made a small list of different things to tell, or I guess warn, my friends about if they come here. The first is to be prepared to hold your breath for the occasional funny smells. Like if you walk by a sewer, or a place that has fresh fish or alive fish (can't get any fresher than that)for sale, and everybody eats garlic a lot and the subway trains are often packed, so... Also, peds don't have the right of way, so watch for cars and motorists and what not. Also, people will drive their scooters on the sidewalks. And watch where you walk because there will be random spit on the sidewalks. Unless you don't care about stepping in spit. Cars drive on the right here, but everyone walks on the left. As in, when you're walking towards a big group of people you'll probably want to walk to the left of them. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's either. And by the time you go home from your visit you'll probably know every Korean pop song because they play them everywhere you go.

Last Friday we stayed in and just listened to music and hung out. Then Saturday we slept in until about 11am and took the subway to meet a girl Jessica's mom knew (kindof) in Hongdae at 1230pm. The three of us ate at Dos Tacos and the nachos I had were pretty weak, but the burrito J had was good. Then we walked to a guitar shop that Rebecca knew about. That area was nice. It was actually the University area (Hongdae is short for Hongik University). Then we got on the subway to Myeong-dong, the shopping district where there was a Forever 21, and we stopped at a coffee shop and after Rebecca went home and it was just me and J. roaming around. We got some souvenirs and looked at some clothing shops and I saw a jewelry place with some nice and simple rings that I want me and Rachel and Nicholas to get. Not sure what to do after seeing all the shops, we decided to look for this foreigner Tshirt shop, Babo. J really wanted the free soju bottle opener key chain they were giving out. So we took the subway back over to Sinchon near Hongdae. The directions said to turn right, cross the street at the second crosswalk, then continue right for about 2mins. until there's a 7-11 (literally) and then it would be on the right in a wooden building. Well, the 7-11 was on the corner and the road beside it looked like only apartments and no shops. So we walked down the other side of the street and saw this weird thing on the wall of one of the buildings. It looked like some weird baby head was poking out. It was really freaky. I was almost afraid to get close to it. Then we crossed back over and went all through this neighborhood and finally came back out and decided to try the street beside the 7-11, which was where the store happened to be tucked away. It was closed, of course, so we said fuck it and got back on the subway.

No comments:

Post a Comment